Sean, I don't mind applying these changes so long as the other committers agree that this would be a good fit. Last I heard, there are still questions or concerns about adding this. I have not been able to find the time to look any deeper into this, so I can't argue one way or the other.

Sorry.

-- James Mitchell Software Engineer / Open Source Evangelist Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance EdgeTech, Inc. 678.910.8017 AIM: jmitchtx Yahoo: jmitchtx MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean Schofield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [chain] [nag] Please commit stuff for DispatchChain

I know its been a while since we discussed this ... but I would like
to bring up the issue of DispatchChain again.  I have a pressing need
for something like this in my current application.  I need to go ahead
and move it into our project codebase or have it added to
commons-chain.  No hard feelings if I cannot convince you that this is
useful.

I will briefly summarize my arguments again.  The dispatch chain
allows you to compose a chain of commands where the command method can
be something other than execute.  It will always have the same
arguments and it will always be the same for every command in the
chain.  I think the fact that it is always the same method for every
command in the chain is a key point here.  Its still the CoR pattern.
There is nothing special about the name of the execute method, the
pattern just requires a consistent method.

If you do not accept this line of reasoning then I would suggest that
DispatchLookupCommand be removed from the codebase as well.  I don't
think you can justify one and not the other.  Finally, its in the
generic package so its entirely optional if you don't want to use it.

I'd like to resolve this ASAP so I can go forward on my project here
at work.  Please give some thought to my arguments.  As I said
earlier, I will accept the decision of the group if the group cannot
be persuaded.

Regards,
sean