Martin Cooper wrote:

On Apr 1, 2005 8:14 PM, Jim Seach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well, we could take it a step further:

We don't need to invent our own api, just adopt one and write the
necessary adapters.  I propose using the JDBC api with our own
DriverManager and DataSources.  The application or library developer
will handle their persistence needs using the standard JDBC api, and
our adapters will intercept the calls and translate them into calls on
the desired persistence layer.

Does it matter that your post was sent past Midnight GMT? It is still
Friday in both yours and my time zones.

Mine too. I'm enjoying this thread. ;-)

Still Friday here...another great struts contribution to commons :-))

Phil

--
Martin Cooper

--- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

a.k.a. "Commons Persisting"

Motivation
----------
There are an increasing number of viable APIs for persisting objects
data stores.  We currently have JDO, a JCP spec, Hibernate, a popular

open source project, OJB, an Apache open source project, EJB3, a new
JCP spec for object persistence,  commercial products such as
Toplink,
and many others such as Abra, BasicWebLib, Castor, Cayenne, DataBind,

DBVisual Architect, EnterpriseObjectsFrameworks, Expresso, FireStorm,

iBATIS, Infobjects, InterSystems Cache, JULP, Jaxor, JDX, Kodo, LiDO,

O/R Broker, Planet J's WOW, intelliBO, SimplOrm, Spadesoft XJDO,
Sql2Java, PE:J, VBSF and others.

Each of these solutions have strengths and weaknesses and are chosen
by
developers based on specific project needs, political considerations,

or quality of golf outings provided by the technology salesperson.

Like the situation that developed a few years ago with logging, in
which developers were forced to choose between the de-facto standard,

Apache Log4J, or the JCP-defined spec, java.util.logging, we believe
that we have a similar situation today - developers are forced to
commit to an API or product for persisting objects which may limit
usefulness to users who may have a legacy persisting technology, or
choose an different technology than the software was developed for.
Further, there is no way to insulate software from "API lock-in", to
allow software to be used with different persisting APIs as style,
fads
and technology concerns dictate.  Finally, there is no way to ensure
that arbitrary dependencies that a project uses can, in an ad-hoc
way,
find and write to the application's data store.  In the same way that

components using commons-logging never cease to delight and surprise
users, we think that commons persisting should just enhance the
mystery
and intrigue of adding apparently innocuous dependencies to a
project.

Proposal
--------

Following the successful model of "Commons Logging", we propose to
create a single API, to be known as "Commons Persisting" which allows

isolation from the fashions and trends in persisting technology.

This API will not :

- define a query language similar to any other
- define a query language conforming to standard set thEory
- define an O/R mapping metadata syntax
- define rules for object lifecycle with respect to the methods in
this
API
- use <insert favorite unproven technology here>
- constrain the types of objects and object models that a given
plug-in
might support
- keep Hani quiet

This API will :

- allow users to use one set of simple interfaces for persisting
objects
- allow different providers to be "plugged-in"
- define an API for execution of queries
- piss off various and sundry expert group members

Comments?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]