Like many of the Jakarta Commons projects, Commons Resources was based, in part, from the initial work done in Struts and later copied over to commons with the intent to one day use that library. This is what was done for Beanutils, Digester, Validator, and more I'm sure.

(Craig, correct me if I am wrong here)
MessageResources (the one in Struts) was created because ResourceBundle (java api) did not provide the required functionality (at the time it was needed).

I have only had a cursory look at Configuration. From what I know of it, it is a reusable library for getting configuration data into your application (typically during startup). Commons Resources is a reusable library for retrieving properties pairs (locale aware) for your application. I do not know if Configuration is locale aware, but I suppose Commons Resources could be extended (or changed) to use Configuration.

The database extensions I did for Resources are specific to Resources, but that can be changed if enough people think we should do that.

I can see how Resources, I18N, and Configuration could play nice together in providing i18n'd messages and configuration data.

Would there be any interest in such an animal?

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

----- Original Message ----- From: "Benedict, Paul C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:59 AM
Subject: RE: RESEND: RE: Load message resources from DB???

James,

How much different is Common Resources from Common Configuration? In
essence, a property file is really just a list of configuration pairs.

Thanks,
Paul