Would others agree with this? Is the best editor setting for editing code where i18n could be an issue to set the editor to UTF-8 or is it better to leave it at its default local setting? What are the pros and cons here? Had I set the editor for UTF-8 would I not have had these issues? Or is it best to consciously code with explicit unicode escapes to avoid these issues on ANYONE's editor? Or both?

Neeme Praks wrote:

Yes, now it should be ok.
However, I would advise to change it anyway - all platform specific settings are Bad(tm).
:-)

Steve Cohen wrote:

Okay, found it. I assume, though, that it is not necessary to change this, now that I have replaced all the non-ASCII chars with unicode equivalents. Or am I still missing something?

Neeme Praks wrote:

Window -> Preferences -> Workbench -> Editors

and there is "Text file encoding", can be (platform) default or custom.

Rgds,
Neeme

Steve Cohen wrote:

However, when you say "that depends on your file encoding", where is THAT defined, actually? I looked through all the Eclipse options and found nothing indicating option to change encodings. Presumably, other editors I might use might have some other place to define this.