Hmm..you're quite right. The problem is not "getContextClassLoader", but
there *is* a problem with AccessController.

I've checked the svn/cvs history, and the AccessController stuff was
added by Richard Sitze in r138923 on 2002-10-18. Presumably that was the
date at which JCL no longer worked on java1.1.

Given that there have been no complaints about that, should we assume
that JCL for java-1.1 is not in great demand, and explicitly support
only 1.3 or later? I see no reason to support 1.2, as it is well
out-of-date; 1.1 has *some* justification as many Win9x systems shipped
with this jvm version and still are in use (see the user request which
started this discussion).

ALternatively, we can simply test for 1.1 before attempting to use the
AccessController stuff...

Cheers,

Simon

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 22:08 -0700, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> No joy.  Doesn't run under JDK 1.1.  I wrote a simple
> main method that calls LogFactory.getLog() and then
> Log.info().  Call to LogFactory.getLog() fails with a
> NoClassDefFoundError: java/security/PrivilegedAction.
>
> java.security.AccessController isn't in 1.1 either.
>
> Brian
[snip]