I actually went and tried it on Jelly... it seems a big jump up
revisions takes a fair hit:

$ time -p svn up
At revision 164170.
real 328.53
user 1.01
sys 3.42

$ time -p svn up
At revision 164171.
real 21.48
user 0.73
sys 2.82

$ time -p svn up
At revision 164171.
real 4.44
user 0.64
sys 1.25

I suspect that a later switch to FSFS instead of BDB will assist with
this based on what I saw in the explanations in the back of the SVN
book, which I understand is intended after the minotaur OS upgrade.

Do you experience the problem continuously, or only after a long break?

- - Brett