> >1) Extract the interface from java.util.Random -- same names and
> >contracts.  Call this interface RandomGenerator.  It will contain:
> >
> >setSeed(long seed)
> >nextBytes(byte[] bytes)
> >int nextInt()
> >int nextInt(int n)
> >long nextLong()
> >boolean nextBoolean()
> >double nextDouble()
> >float nextFloat()
> >double nextGaussian()

I would prefer to separate out these generation methods into different
types.  IMO, the RandomGenerator interface should contain a sole generation
method.  One of:
  int next(int numberOfBits) // similar to the java.util.Random method
  int next() // discrete uniform over [0, Integer.MAX_VALUE]
  double next() // uniform over [0, 1)

The remaining methods I would implement as specialized random variable
generators that use a RandomGenerator instance as an engine.

Brent Worden