After long time in the sandbox I would like to promote
commons-vfs to commons proper.

There are many user requests to enter a release cycle and
there is consent that VFS is stable enough to offer it.

(0) Rationale

commons-vfs allows a single api to access many different
filesystem, A plugin system allows it to extend the system
with 3rd party libraries without the need to touch the
core.

(1) Scope of the Package

The scope of VFS is to use other libraries to access those
filesystems and insert as less overhead as possible.

(1.1) Currently supported filesystems

local files
ftp
http
webdav
sftp
samba
temporary

- and files packaged in
zip
jar
tar
gzip
bzip2

(1.2) Access modes (depending on the filesystem capabilities)

create, list, read, write, delete, rename, random access, attributes

(2) Interaction with other packages

VFS uses junit for its testing and requires a couple
of servers (apache, ssh, samba, ...) to pass them.
Release 1.0 relies on jdk 1.3 only, though I have plans
to migrate to jdk 1.5 for a release 2.0 with backward
compatibility to jdk 1.4 using retroweaver.
BUT this ONLY happens if a foregoing vote succeed.

Also there is a list of required resources on
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/vfs/download.html
Here the word "required" means "if the users would
like to use a specific filesystem".
If a library is missing VFS will not fail but do
not provide its capabilities.

(3) Required jakarta-commons resources

SVN Repository

Mailing List
commons-dev/commons-user. [VFS] prefixed in the
subject line.

Bugzilla
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/

(4) Initial committers Adam Murdoch adammurdoch -at- apache.org

James Strachan
jstrachan -at- apache.org

Dion Gillard
dion -at- apache.org

Mario Ivankovits
imario -at- apache.org

---------- Cut Here ---------- Vote to promote the "vfs" package from Sandbox to Commons proper [ ] +1 I am in favor of this action and will help [ ] +0 I am in favor of this action but cannot help [ ] -0 I am not in favor of this action [ ] -1 I am opposed to this action and here is why:

Vote to release Commons VFS 1.0: [ ] +1 I am in favor of this action and will help [ ] +0 I am in favor of this action but cannot help [ ] -0 I am not in favor of this action [ ] -1 I am opposed to this action and here is why: