On 5/14/05, Mattias J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 2005-05-14 00:51, Simon Kitching wrote:
> >On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 09:44 +0200, Mattias J wrote:
> > > And if I am not currently a Jakarta commiter, but would like sandbox
> > commit
> > > access for existing sandbox projects?
> >
> >If you're not an ASF committer, then I think the current policy is that
> >no, you can't get commit access to the sandbox. However ... they can
> >always nominate you as a commons committer (or
> >any other relevant ASF project) which then gives you access to the sandbox
> >too.
>
> So you cannot be a commons sandbox only committer?

Correct. The intent of the sandbox is to provide an area in which
existing ASF committers can explore the viability of extracting
potentially common code from an existing ASF code base into a
shareable component. (That intent has been stretched somewhat, but
that is still the real purpose of the sandbox.)

> >The main issue with having commit access is that you need to have signed
> >the appropriate legal forms.
>
> As understand it, you must sign the CLA before anybody else commits your
> patches too.

That depends on the scale of the patches. For most patches that are
bug fixes or perhaps minor enhancements, a CLA is not generally
necessary. (I say "generally" because it may depend on your employer's
policies on IP ownership and contributing to open source projects.)
For substantial contributions, a CLA may be necessary.

--
Martin Cooper