Michal Slocinski wrote:
Hi,

I've problems with commons-daemon, first I wanted to browse dev
mailing list archives, but current link is dead
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/[EMAIL PROTECTED])
so thats why I wrote here directly.

I'm trying to run jsvc on linux as a non-root user but I've a lot of
issues with that. Generally, jsvc terminates with error:
jsvc.exec error: syscall failed in set_caps
jsvc.exec error: Service exit with a return value of 4

I noticed this when:
a) trying to run it without -nodetach option, or
b) trying to run it with -nodetach option but with -outfile and
-errfile set to some file (naturally, I've write permissions to write
there)

While running jsvc like:
./jsvc -debug -nodetach -cp commons-daemon.jar:my-daemon.jar mydaemon.Main

everything works fine, but when I try to remove -nodetach or add
-outfile/-errfile with some file parameters where I've write rights,
jsvc crashes.

I read somewhere that when running it under 2.6.x kernel I should have
"capability" module loaded, but it is already loaded and even then
jsvc crashes:
$ lsmod | grep capability
capability        4872  0
commoncap    7168  1 capability

My kernel is standard Debian Sarge kernel 2.6.8-2-386

currently my solution for that problem is to hack jsvc-unix.c and
comment those lines:
if (linuxset_user_group(args->user, uid, gid) != 0) return (4)

because I don't need running it as a root and then switching it to other user.

I have reproduce the problem... It will be fixed in the release beeing prepared.