Steven Caswell wrote:
I propose that for the upcoming lang 2.1 release we leave the errors unfixed and leave the checkstyle report as is.

1. Leave them unfixed because the errors are all documentation-related, and while it is important to fix them, I don't believe the problems are detrimental to the product. It has taken long enough to get the release out (and I take some of the blame for the slowness) and I don't believe it is worth delaying longer to make what I consider marginally useful fixes. Unless someone gets to them before the final RC.

I would like to have a go at them but since I don't feel too confident about my svn skills it's probably better to learn svn before I start committing again. :-)

<off-topic>
While on the subject of svn; is there a repository (at apache) where one can test svn without causing a mess? :-P
</off-topic>

2. Leave the checkstyle report as is because the problems should be fixed, and I'm worried that if we hide them for this release then they'll be forgotten. I'd rather take the time after the release to either fix them or hide them after appropriate discussion, which I believe should also not hold up the release.

Thoughts?

I agree with your proposal to wait until after a release to decide on how to resolve the issues. After all the number of checkstyle issues have decreased in 2.1-RC6, when comparing it to the 2.0 release.

Regards,
Fredrik Westermarck