Hi Niall,

In general the patches we are applying are likely to be small; they are
bugfixes for bugzilla reports not new features.

So I wouldn't have thought that posting patches separately would be
useful. After all, every subversion commit automatically generates a
patch file that gets emailed to the list anyway. If someone queries the
patch they see in a commit mail then we can talk about it and
potentially back it out again.

The commit-first approach would seem to save a large amount of time over
posting a patch then waiting a few days to see if anyone comments on it.

Obviously if the developer has any concerns about the patch they are
applying then posting first is a good idea.

If you have filtering set up for beanutils mails, then I would recommend
that you make sure that filter also picks up commit emails containing
"commons/proper/beanutils" in the subject, so that you don't miss any
commit emails.

I would expect that when we roll a release candidate for beanutils we
would run the struts unit tests using that beanutils RC jar to see if
any problems occur. And likewise for digester. And for any other
significant beanutils-using projects if someone tells me about them.
Hopefully we will get a struts developer or two to join the beanutils
maintenance (I've posted on dev@struts.apache.org), in which case that
person could run beanutils HEAD during their struts development to pick
up any problems.

But I'm open to arguments on this...

Regards,

Simon