Thought I'd summarise the CSV threads on the user list. Due to the
high level of user activity in those threads, I've mailed this to both
user and dev lists. Interested users should probably hop over to the
dev list at some point as I imagine future threads will consolidate
there.

Basic idea is for a parser library for csv files. There is a lot of
interest and various pieces of code have been offered:

Netcetera's csvparser.
 - configurable delimiter (delimiter may appear in complex values)
 - complex values (including newlines -> multiline values)
 - unicode escapes
 - empty line skipping support
 - comment support
 - hardcoded record separators (\n or \r\n)

OSJava's gj-csv (http://www.osjava.org/genjava/multiproject/gj-csv/)
 - configurable field/block delimiters
 - reader/writer, Map and 'DOM' apis
 - BSD licenced.
 - NOTE: My library, so I'm biased either for or against it.

Ostermiller's GPL'd csv parser has been around for ages, but is GPL.
Still, a good thing to be feature competitive with.

Brian McCallister has a new CSV library - http://kasparov.skife.org/csv/.
 - Apache licenced.

There are alternative ways to do CSV parsing:

  - JDBC API (http://csvjdbc.sourceforge.net/)
  - using ANTLR
(http://supportweb.cs.bham.ac.uk/documentation/tutorials/docsystem/build/tutorials/antlr/antlr.html#ANTLR-Translation-Example)
  - XML API (http://www.dpawson.co.uk/java/csv2xml.html)

Another question is where the code should go. [lang] and [io] have
been suggested, as has a [csv] component. I'll go as far as to say
that [csv] is the direction we should go and see if anybody disagrees
:)

There are important issues to remember:

* include a precise reference to a spec, if available, or to an
implementation (e.g. excel,
outlook, filemaker, ...)
* release early (ie) get the basics out).
* Excel and others can be weird, it might need special support.

Wish-list features:

* bridge with Jelly (whatever Paul meant here)
* configurable column selection.
* Hibernate / struts property driven CSV read configuration. (Here I
am talking about referencing third party xml elements as target