Phil,

Right - I should have pointed that out about forking. Really, the plugin should automatically fork if executable is set...

For the manifest, this just indicates that the executing JVM was used to build the JAR and manifest. It doesn't seem that useful to fork this with an old JDK - you could write those manifest entries yourself based on the JDK you selected.

In Maven 2, I'd hope that you would be able to select an entire external tool chain and apply it consistently so this doesn't happen.

Cheers,
Brett

Phil Steitz wrote:

<snip/>
You can use Maven to compile on a different JDK than that running the
app, using the maven.compile.executable property:
http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/java/properties.html

Thanks, Brett!  That seems to work, with the full path to the jdk
javac executable as the value,  but I seem to need to also specify
maven.compile.fork=true
to get it to take effect and pick up the 1.3 compile failure that I
just discovered in [math] :-(

When I remove the problem and do "maven jar" however, with this setup,
I end up with Build-Jdk in the manifest showing the version of the jdk
that launched maven.  Any way around this?

Phil