From: Emmanuel Bourg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 8:47 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [lang] text.Interpolation, on to 2.2

Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi & wait a sec, you cannot just "let the other methods
unimplemented",
> the code will not compile. All interface methods must be implemented,
> the bodies of void methods can be empty, others and can return nulls
and
> 0's or throw exceptions, sure, but that seems confusing.

By unimplemented I meant throwing an UnsupportedOperationException or
NotImplementedException for example, or returning a null value as you
suggested.

> It seems simpler to have an interface with one method than to explain
> that the resolver is a Map, but not really, and that, today, only this
> here methods needs to be implemented. Or am I missing something?

I think it would be simpler to use a standard interface rather than
introducing a new one that very few people will use. It looks to me like

a good compromise between simplicity and an approach that may look a bit

too "framework-ish" that Simon was concerned about.

Emmanuel Bourg