On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 17:37 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

> lazy consensus: it would be nice to have a link to the definition of
> this. I can't remember whether this requires at least 3 +1 votes.

i don't know whether there's a good explanation any more.

i can't find the jakarta document (i think it was relocated). there's
one a paragraph which is sort of relevant here:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#management but is a
little general to be a definition. the exact definition varies across
apache but the basic idea does not.

IMHO it's less formal than a VOTE thread (which imposes the status quo
until the vote has finished and a quorum achieved) and (by convention in
jakarta, at least) doesn't use a [VOTE] prefix in the subject (sometimes
[PROPOSAL], other times nothing in particular). it's lazy since the
action can go ahead until a (valid, binding) -1 forces it to be rolled
back and a proper vote taken (or at least, until the -1 is withdrawn).
decisions to commit are by lazy consensus (commit then wait for any
-1).

(other people may like to jump in here)

> Is clirr's ant and maven integration up to scratch? I definitely think
> it's a useful tool for checking releases, but is a bit rough around the
> edges which is why I didn't include it in my updates to the release
> notes.

a little rough (maybe) but useful (nevertheless)

i couldn't remember the link but wanted to use it which is probably a
good indication that it should be linked from the release document...

> On the other hand, including it here may just force me to go and
> actually fix any clirr problems!

hehehe

- robert