On 6/27/05, Stefan Rufer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I dare to come back to the "Creating a CSV component" thread where the
> discussion has starved a bit during the last weeks:
>

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200506.mbox/[EMAIL
>  PROTECTED]

> So far I've found the following oppinions concerning "CSV as an own
> Jakarta Commons component":
>
> Henri Yandell   +1
> Kevin Gessner   -1 (rather inlcude in [lang] or [io])
> Jeremias Maerki +1
> Steven Caswell   +1
> Thorsten Curdt  +1
>
> Henri presented different code offerings a CSV component can be based on
> (Netcetera, OSJava). There were no comments about this.
>
> Any more input?

I had to back off to focus on the board report (for a week), and have
spent the last week digging into Infrastructure issues (SVN
migrations).

Getting back on csv, the Netcetera code seems to clearly be the best choice.

Something which has been nibbling away at my mind for the last week is
that, for a basic csv component, it's more than complete and I'm not
sure we would immediately have a direction to want to add lots of
features, so it seems to me that this is a case where Commons should
be going through the Incubator and not just adding the code in.

Netcetera have a couple of ASF committers already, whom I think have
been volunteered to be initial committers (need to ask them at some
point :) ), and we've enough interest in Commons that I think getting
through the Incubator will be no problem, but using the Incubator
would be a good education for the Commons community; we've not had a
lot to do with it so far.

So my proposal is that we submit Netcetera's CSV library to the ASF
Incubator, with Jakarta (more correctly Jakarta Commons) acting as the
sponsoring project. (I'd be happy to volunteer to be mentor the
project). While in the Incubator we would add more unit tests on the
code side, and make sure legal issues are comfortably handled.

Check http://incubator.apache.org/ out for more info.

What do you all think?

Hen