The docs on http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/prepare.html
suggest adding a script to maven.xml, to change the directory name for
the source distribution that is generated.

FWIW, I've found using a project.properties entry easier:

# used to ensure the source distribution unpacks into commons-email-VERSION-src
maven.dist.src.assembly.dir=${maven.dist.assembly.dir}/src/${maven.final.name}-src

I would prefer we use the project.properties rather than maven.xml for
this in general. Is there a technical preference for the maven.xml?
Bernard Shaw