a) we don't have the ability to call it directly from StrBuilder without copying the char array to a String. (VariableFormatter needs rewriting to operate on a char[])

Hmmm. I've just realised that this won't work. VariableFormatter may need to lengthen the array, and that isn't possible outside the StrBuilder class (without horrible hacks).

So, IMHO, we need to focus on StrBuilder again. StrBuilder is intended as our mutable string. VariableFormatter can use a StrBuilder intenally.

StrTokenizer doen't need to use StrBuilder as it doesn't change the string. VariableFormatter does change the string, so should be built on StrBuilder.

Oliver Heger wrote:
I think, it shouldn't be a problem to implement the Matcher interface to locate variables in the source string. But I will have to study the StrTokenizer class whether it is possible to extract the variables' names once they have been detected.

My point wrt StrTokenizer was that the Matcher interface *might* be useful. However, on further reflection, I think it is best to keep the two classes a bit more separate. We shouldn't force re-use.

Stephen