Simon Kitching wrote:
Because of how the constructors are coded, unless I've missed
something, super.getMessage() will always return a non-null value, so
the else blocks will never execute. Did I read this correctly? Is
there any reason to keep the additional else blocks? I'd like to
remove them if there isn't.

I agree that super.getMessage() always returns non-null.

This may vary by JDK version. I haven't checked, but isn't it better to code defensively here?

Stephen