Looks good.  Couple of clarifying questions:

1. What happens to nightly builds, if the component has been set up to
have them?
2. What happens to jars in the "internal" snapshot repo
(/www/cvs.apache.org/repository)?

My HO would be best to stop nightlies (which will start failing anyway
;-) and to remove the snapshot jars.

I like the idea of doing the "cleanup" as a group a couple of times a
year.  As stated in the proposal, though,  we need to make sure to
give community members sufficient time to weigh in.  Here is a
suggestion:

* Generate a monthly report listing the apparently dormant sandbox
components, posted to both commons-dev and commons-user.   Understand
if this may be seen as an annoyance, but it is one way to keep the
surprises to a minimum.  If mailing list volume is a concern (though
one more message a month is a drop in the bucket ;-), this could be
posted to a web page somewhere.
* Every six months, kick off a VOTE (technically, a bunch of lazy
consensus VOTEs) based on the most recent report.
* Agree informally to spawn separate discussion threads for each -1
(binding or not).  Allow a month for these discussions.  At the end of
the month, archive any components that have not mustered binding -1's.

Phil