(getting back on track now, i hope)

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 13:21 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 23:47 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 11:51 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > >
> > > The memory-leak-in-servlet-engine issue is a common problem and does
> > > need to be addressed one way or another. Taking a wild guess, I would
> > > think that perhaps 50% of all uses of commons-logging is in a J2EE or
> > > servlet container, so including this code in core seems reasonable to
> > > me.
> >
> > that depends on whether the concept of core comes from a dependency
> > perspective or a usage perspective. there are advantages in structuring
> > builds so that dependencies can be managed most effectively and then
> > distributing a combined headlining jar containing the most popular
> > classes.
>
> By "core" I meant the jar that users are generally recommended to
> download: commons-logging.jar.
>
> The ServletContextCleaner also needs to be in
> commons-logging-adapters.jar as that is the jar recommended for webapps
> where commons-logging or commons-logging-api is in the parent.

that's fine by me. i'm happy with a fat commons-logging.jar so long as
finer grained distributions can be built.

what bothers me is the dependency graph for the most basic distribution.
a good example of the problems that bigger graphs create is debian. JCL
is depended upon by a lot of java libraries and debian checks that all
dependencies will run on a free JVM. adding a dependency may mean that
JCL and all components that depend upon it would have to be moved into
contrib.

<snip>

> > > This is pretty much what commons-logging currently does. So obviously
> > > people share your view.
> >
> > there are several reasons why experience has taught that this approach
> > often proves the best (i'll give some reasons for this statement at the
> > bottom rather than break up the flow now). however, the modularity in
> > the current build isn't as clearly reflected in the project structure as
> > it might be. it might be worth considering a move to a structure better
> > reflecting this (which may be Jörg's suggestion).
>
> There are two issues:
> * modularity of the build
> * optionality[1] of the build
>
> [1] This new word is copyright by me :-)

-1 a coiner should be generous with those words he coins ;)

> I've got no real objection to making the build more modular. I do think
> making parts of the build optional is going to cause grief.

we've been over this before so here's a summary. i'd like to see a
minimal build which creates a JCL which will function in a very basic
fashion for other libraries to depend upon. in addition, there would a
number of modules capable of being build separately. i would support the
primary user distribution being a series of fat jars but think that a
minimal jar for use by libraries is important. expert users would be
able to use the source to roll custom combinations.

> > however, i'm now of the opinion that JCL requires lots more
> > documentation than it has. IMHO optional jar's are much easier to
> > explain than classloading.
>
> More docs are definitely needed. I don't see how having a set of jars is
> going to help us avoid explaining classloader issues though.

don't think i expressed myself very well: given that explaining
classloading is difficult, we should be capable of explaining an
optional jar.

> > this can be addressed by looking at the jars we distribution. what works
> > well with a modular approach is to separate the builds but distribute a
> > fat jar (containing everything) as the standard (named) jar.
> >
> > adopting this policy would lead to a distributing something like:
> >
> > commons-logging.jar (containing everything)
> >
> > commons-logging-core.jar (containing everything but optional)
> > commons-logging-optional.jar (optional stuff including deprecated)
> > commons-logging-api.jar
>
> Yep, I could go for this.
>
> Personally I would generate this jar by compiling commons-logging.jar
> then creating other jars with sets of classes extracted from the
> "everything" jar. [but see comments re gump below]
>
> I get the impression that is not what you mean by "modular", and that
> you would prefer to generate different jars then combine their classes
> to create the "everything" jar.

yes, that's the way i saw it working. suspect that this style works
better with maven. agnostic about the practicalities, though.

> > monolithic builds sooner or later run into difficulties with
> > dependencies. these difficulties come in different forms.
> >
> > there is the issue of dependency proliferation. the fight against
> > dependency proliferation means that good code that is only useful in a
> > limited number of use cases is not accepted whereas the ill effects of
> > drifting towards kitchen sink dependency are well known. monolithic
> > builds have to err on the side of caution.
>
> One could argue that the LogKitLogger is in this category - it's hardly
> ever used, and so it's debatable whether it should be included in the
> standard log4j jar. I agree that with the current setup, if something
> like LogKitLogger came along we would probably reject it as not being
> worth including in the standard jars.
>
> I don't quite see how a "modular" build would deal with this though..

if the build was modular, i'd be included to accept code to log to that
hypothetical logger as a module.

> > sooner or later, it is necessary to cope with dependencies which break
> > backwards compatibility. monolithic builds are usually force to adopt a
> > single choice of dependency. this causes major pain to downstream users
> > by forcing a particular choice of library versions upon. it is often
> > possible to structure modular builds so that different versions of the
> > same library can be supported.
>
> Sorry, I don't see what you mean by this. We do have this situation now,
> where log4j12 and log4j13 are incompatible. But commons-logging will be
> able to support them both fine.
>
> commons-logging is in the fortunate state of having *no* core
> dependencies. Only the adapter classes have dependencies, and they are
> all "optional" in the sense that their dependencies are irrelevant
> unless the user selects one.
>
> So while this may be a reasonable issue for other projects, I don't see
> its relevance to commons-logging.

my concern is that if the build requires all those dependencies then
downstream builders (automatic like gump or manual like debian) will
list JCL as requiring all those dependencies.

> > JCL is used by a huge number of downstream users. a failure in the JCL
> > gump build (a good metric) causes a gump storm containing hundreds of
> > consequent failures. gump is an example of a dependency management tool.
> > maven is another. the number of dependencies required to build a basic,
> > functional JCL is small (though larger than it should be). if the basic
> > build compiles more than is strictly needed by dependent, then this
> > causes problems for dependency management tools. in this end, this may
> > also prove a source of difficulties since JCL may end up depending
> > (indirectly) upon itself.
> >
> > these forces often result in monolithic builds tending towards modular
> > ones.
>
> So you're saying that if we provide a commons-logging-core build, then
> other components in gump can depend on that. And then if the log4j
> adapter fails to build we get a single failure for "commons-logging.jar"
> but succeed for "commons-logging-core.jar" and so all the other projects
> build ok?

+1

> That's a good point.

a better one is that debian can build JCL using that build and will not
have to build and verify all the other dependencies in order to
distribute JCL.

<snip>

> We're agreed that the current setup sucks. I do know how to simplify the
> existing build to:
> * require all (currently optional) dependencies
> * build everything
> * build subjars out of the everything jar
>
> But I don't know how to achieve what you're looking for.

it's really a long term goal (rather than a short term one). it'd
probably be reason to just add a task that builds a small core which can
be used by downstream builders.

- robert