Some comments inline.

Brett Porter wrote:
Thanks for this Niklas, I'll get it kickstarted. I have some feedback:

Niklas Gustavsson wrote:

Scope of the package
------------------------------------
The package shall create and maintain a process execution package
written in the Java language to be distributed under the ASF license.
The Java code might also be complemented with scripts (e.g. Perl
scripts) to fully enable execution on some operating systems. The
package should aim for supporting a wide range of operating systems
while still having a consistent API for all platforms.

I would like to avoid the need for such scripts if possible, but it's
definitely a thought.

I agree, however, since Ant uses them it might be for a good reason so just to be sure I added this statement. One possibility for not having to distribute them would be to generate the scripts on he fly from Java but I think we can discuss and test this later on.

Interaction with other packages
------------------------------------
This package will using Commons Logging for logging debug and error
information.

I'd prefer not. Both Ant and Maven have other ways to log information,
so if it is to be incorporated back into them it might be an issue. In
addition, this will need to be capturing and streaming sys.out and err
which will need more functionality than c-l provides, so we need to have
an output interface anyway.

I'm perfectly fine with this.

* Ant 2.X contains a new exec implementation, especially targeted for
reusability (see http://ant.apache.org/ant2/actionlist.html#exec).

Actually, I don't know if Ant2 exists - that page was a proposal from
quite some time ago IIRC.

I don't think so either (at least I haven't been able to find any code) but the exec refactoring is said to be 80% done. I'll check with Peter Donald if this code is available somewhere.

Identify the initial set of committers to be listed in the Status File
------------------------------------
Brett Porter
Stefan Bodewig

As requested I'll add Trygve to this list too. He is an Apache committer.

Niklas Gustavsson (I'm not currently an Apache commiter so I don't
know if this is possible)

The same rules apply as to other Apache projects - it is based on merit:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#meritocracy
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles

So, if you show continued commitment to contributing in regards to this
and/or other commons components, that you are willing to work with
others and to help people on the users mailing list, then it is possible
you will be invited to move from being a contributor to a committer.

Sounds good!

Thanks again! I can set up the component in the sandbox - do you have
some code to start it with already, or shall we start talking about
where to start?

While I got some code I would prefer to discuss the high-level requirements and design first. For example I would be very interested in Tryves ideas.

/niklas

Cheers,
Brett