Torsten Curdt wrote:

> ...I just wanted to point out that incubator not only exists
> due to legal reasons. (actually I am not sure if that was the
> main in reason in the first place at all) If it was, we would
> not need it for internally started projects.

Actually, we don't need to use it for internally started projects.  But we
most certainly have to use it for things coming in from the outside.

> But to my understanding it is also about establishing a healthy community.

Absolutely.  When we are bringing in external projects, we need to make sure
that they become a healthy community following ASF practices.

However, when we are bringing in external codebases into an existing
project, we still need to use the Incubator.  Rule of thumb: if you need a
Software Grant, you should be recording it in the Incubator as per the IP
template.

        --- Noel