On 8/15/05, James Carman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The only bad part about that is Outlook will still show the "new mail" icon
> on my system tray even if the rule permanently deletes it.  I don't know why
> we force all the developers to receive the CVS (subversion) notifications.

Not all ASF lists do it, some have separate lists for the cvs notifications.

Given that those of us who don't want it only go and setup filters to
handle it *looks guiltily at his stuffed-full gmail cvs label*, it
does seem pointless to waste the bandwidth.

Then again, if it's an opt-in mailing list, would anyone choose to subscribe?

The point of seeing the cvs notifications is so that the community can
vet changes as they are made. With Commons, this becomes an important
part of the development system as so much is going on, but is anyone
really looking?

Blue sky thinking; but:

* If we had a system in which we can each hand out karma to each other
(certificate authority system is rumoured to have that ability, though
I need to learn more)
* and we karma'd each Commons component individually, along with a few
people going for Commons-wide karma if they wanted, possibly on a
temporary basis,
* then we could send CVS notifications out to the people who have
karma for that component.

Hen