Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

Brett Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

How?

if keyBuffer is null (which it isn't, the constructor initialises it),
String.valueOf( keyBuffer ) would be an NPE as well. toString() should
not return null and won't for a StringBuffer.

What the...?????

--- cut ----
import java.io.File;

public class test {
       System.out.println(String.valueOf((Object) null));
   }
}
--- cut ----

[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]$ javac test.java
[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_02-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_02-b09, mixed mode, sharing)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]$ java test
       at java.lang.String.<init>(String.java:173)
       at java.lang.String.valueOf(String.java:2591)
       at test.main(test.java:5)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]$ javac test.java
[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]$ java -version
java version "1.4.2_08"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_08-b03)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]$ java test
null

Oh fsck, Sun, please, please, please don't tell me that you screwed
_that_ one up.....

The javadoc even states:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#valueOf(java.lang.Object)

--- cut ---
valueOf

public static String valueOf(Object obj)

   Returns the string representation of the Object argument.

   Parameters:
obj - an Object. Returns:
       if the argument is null, then a string equal to "null";
       otherwise, the value of obj.toString() is returned.
   See Also:
       Object.toString()

--- cut ---

Congrats. You found a bug. IMHO.

This is BTW one of my personal mnemonics.
I do replace foobar.toString() with String.valueOf(foobar) because up
until a few seconds ago I was under the firm impression, that
String.valueOf(...) could _never_ throw NPE. This is a constant source
of sorrow with code that I'm working on, because often co-workers tell
me "that can never be null". Yeah, unless, some weird condition
happens that was not tested for and surfaced after customer
installation. Better safe than sorry. Defensive programming... :-)

        Regards
                Henning

Despite of your test results I think that String.valueOf() is the safer variant. So I will change this.

Thanks for noticing.
Oliver