Here are some suggestions:

Under getting started (or somewhere else), specify Maven as the build tool
of choice.  State where Maven can be downloaded.  Also, mention to build
with Maven the commons-build project will also have to be grabbed from SVN
and placed locally at the same directory level as commons-math.

Under the contributing section, contributing ideas and code, item 4, stress
code attachments should be patches whenever possible.

Under the documentation subsection, add a blurb about making changes to the
user guide.

Under the licensing and copyright subsection, last bullet item, enumerate
any sources we presently restrict.  Also mention that if one has any
licensing or copyright questions about possible contributions, that they
should be raised on the mailing list.

Brent Worden