Hi Simon,

Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 02:47 +0200, Joerg Hohwiller wrote:
>
>>As I have checked with offical releases ant seems
>>to be the master and maven is just there for other reasons (maybe the site
>>generation).
>

> Yes, this is the case.
>
> Up until now, commons-logging has always been built with Ant, with Maven
> just used for the website.
>
> After the last release I put some significant work into trying to use
> Maven to build and test commons-logging. However the situation where we
> need to bundle loggers for log4j12 and log4j13 but these two libraries
> are binary-incompatible makes it even harder to use Maven.
>
> Unfortunately, the result of my work is that the maven build initially
> looks like it might be usable, but actually isn't. I really should strip
> out all the code that even attempts to build the release jar.
>

>>For me the question is:
>>Is the API-jar build in maven.xml just legacy and can be kicked out?
>>Or on the other hand has someone evaluated if the test issue can be solved
>>with
>>a recent maven version and the ant can be replaced and kicked out?
>

> As you may have seen, the way unit testing is done has undergone a
> radical revision (by me). It was extremely convoluted before, and is
> hopefully now saner. I hoped that one of the outcomes was to be able to
> build/test from maven, but the log4j incompatibility issues then blew
> that goal out of the water again.
>
> And unfortunately 2 months ago I ran out of time for working on
> commons-logging (combination of new relationship and new job; need 25
> hours in the day *without* any open-source work!).
Thanks for making this clear.

> If you think you can get this application building with Maven, then
> please have a go. It will be a challenge.
We'll the only idea I have right now is to add (fictive) subprojects for the two
log4j versions. That might be an easy solution. My time is also very
limitted, but I will give it a try to play around and we'll see.

Anyways I hope there is anybody left from commons-logging for my
"getChildLogger" proposal. I am very keen on that.
If someone would have a look at it and let me know what else to do to make it
happen to be committed, I would be very pleased.
I already added a test for the new Logger features within the patch.
I would write additional information and potential FAQ entries.
But at the current moment I get very few feedback at all about what I want and
think. So I do not have a clue if my patch will be accepted.

> Regards,
>
> Simon
Regards
  Jörg