I have updated the release plan
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/math/1%2e1ReleasePlan
with some notes on basic complex arithmetic operations, comparing
current (1.0) behavior with Colt and R and making a recommendation for
1.1 in each case.

In some cases, the 1.1 recommendation differs from what would be
prescribed by the C99x Annex G standard.  That is because the
recommended behaviour would be relatively easy to document without
quoting from the C99x spec, which is a little complicated.  I have
made inquiries to ISO / ANSI on whether we can quote from the spec in
our javadoc and on this list. Until I get affirmative response, and
maybe even if I do, I think it is best to use the following "naive"
computing principle:

* Apply definitional formulas and return NaN in real or imaginary
parts when the normal java.lang.double arithmetic rules yield NaN
values.  Similarly for positive and negative infinity.

Unfortunately, * is a little tricky and in some places inefficient to
implement since the best computational formulas are not the same as
the definitional ones, so care has to be taken to ensure that NaNs and
INFs are correctly returned.

Input / patches welcome!  Feel free to add comments to the Wiki.  I
will summarize here and on the ticket once people have had a chance to
weigh in and I have heard back from ANSI/ISO on the spec issue.

Phil