Simon Kitching wrote:
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 06:03 -0800, fiji kalathil wrote:

Hi, i am using commons-net-1.4.0.jar in my proj
i am getting the followinf compilation error

src/com/covad/ccbi/operations/InfBillingOps.java:5347: cannot access
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClient
   [javac] bad class file:
/home/fkp/DECEMBER-2005-dev/ccbi/lib/jakarta/commons-net-1.4.0.jar(org/apache/commons/net/ftp/FTPClient.class)
   [javac] class file has wrong version 48.0, should be 47.0
   [javac] Please remove or make sure it appears in the correct subdirectory of
the classpath.
   [javac]             FTPClient ftp = new FTPClient();

Looks like the 1.4.0 release of commons-net was compiled using (or
targeting) java 1.4 but you're using java 1.3.
I suggest you check the release documentation to see whether the project
explicitly requires java 1.4. If not, it might be a mistake; it's
happened from time to time. You could always try downloading the source
and recompiling with java 1.3; most jakarta projects can be built pretty
easily.

BTW, when posting to this list please put the project name in the
subject, eg "[net] class file has wrong version".

Regards,

Simon

You are correct, Simon. There WAS a bug reported in 1.4.0 around this. commons-net is NOT targeted at 1.4 and this somehow slipped through. We have not done a release and maybe we should for this.

However, I'm not entirely sure how you are inferring that the problem here is 1.3 vs. 1.4. You may know something I don't. I'm not sure where the version 48.0 vs 47.0 is coming from. I've never seen that before.

This user could try getting the nightly build and see if that fixes his problem.