On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 22:40 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 21:04 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > Can a new release of CL rule out all the classloading problems
> > > people had before?
> >

> > What's currently in SVN head will probably fix 90% of the problems, and
> > is about 99% backwards compatible. I would love to see it released, so
> > that the debate could then move on to a "JCL 2.0" which I think is quite
> > likely to take the alternative approach described above. Oh for a few
> > more hours in the day!
>
> what work's required for a release (above the actual code cutting)?

* Remove the ServletCleanupContextListener (this might not be exactly
the right class name). It's obviously too controversial. Maybe the code
could be put in the documentation somewhere, or on the wiki.

* Decide whether to merge the weak-hash-map stuff into the main trunk or
leave it in an "optional" jar. If we merge it, we can do away with the
optional jar completely which is good. However it does mean that if
there is a bug in it people can't disable it. If bundled in the main jar
there might need to be a little extra code to just ignore it when it
throws an exception on load for java < 1.3.

* Sort out whether we split Log4JLogger into two classes or not.

* Verify that TRACE support works for log4j's latest releases.

* Consider Joerg Schaible/Joerg Hohwiller's "getChildLogger" proposal.
I'm tempted not to include this, though. Getting a release out is
probably the highest priority.

That's all I'm aware of.

Regards,

Simon