Hi Robert,

robert burrell donkin wrote on Saturday, November 12, 2005 2:00 PM:

[snip]

>> * Consider Joerg Schaible/Joerg Hohwiller's "getChildLogger"
>> proposal. I'm tempted not to include this, though. Getting a release
>> out is probably the highest priority.
>
> IMHO i need to be certain that everything's exactly right
> before i'm willing to commit it. i was trying to work through
> the issues and making sure i understood them but this went a
> bit quiet.
>
> either of the two Joerg's around to advocate it's inclusion?

My original proposal was to add getName to the Log interface, but I used it to
create a "getChildLogger" functionality. Joerg Howiller added a new LogFactory
interface extending Log to ensure backward compatibility, where this new
functionality and other things have been added.

To use the new functionality I have to cast every Log instance, but since I
might also have to deal with an implementation of another party, I cannot rely
on it. So for my personal use case, this solution is also not appropriate,
since in such a case I still have no valid fallback. I understand now, that my
naive first proposal would backward break compatibility I would rather wait for
a 2.0 version of JCL to add this. That version might break compatibility anyway
(and might therefore also need new package names).

- Jörg