Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jakarta-commons Wiki"
for change notification.

The following page has been changed by MarioIvankovits:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/VfsNext

  We should stay in state 2. until one sends a signal to finish with the
archive.

- == 12. Eclipse enabled VFS JARs ==
- The problem: Currently extending VFS with new file system providers cannot be
done in an elegant manner. Special code needs to be written to register new
file systems for new schemas.
-
- A possible solution: The VFS project could make use of the powerful plugin
mechanism available in Eclipse (actually they are migrating towards the OSGi
plugin model).
-
- The whole idea would be to be able to extends VFS with new file system
providers using the Eclipse plugin model (with extensions to VFS extension
points). The standard file system manager could be extended: if the Eclipse
runtime is detected to be running then it could use the Eclipse runtime's
mechanisms to identify extensions to the VFS extension points. If the Eclipse
runtime is not running it could fall back to the existing provider
initialization found in StandardFileSystemManager.
-
- In the JCommander project we had a file system abstraction layer that worked
this way and we found it very easy and elegant to provide additional file
system implementation. Actually now that we have moved over to VFS we will
implement this functionality. When this implementation will be provided then it
could be analyzed if it is suited to the base VFS distribution.
-
- Having these would make it much easier for third parties to extend VFS.
-
  ----
  == new filesystems ==

@@ -104, +93 @@

  ----

+ == wishes ==
+
+ The best change to get those added is by contribute them ;-)
+
+
+ === Eclipse enabled VFS JARs ===
+
+ In addition to the current plugin model, use the OSGi plugin model to allow
configuration of e.g. additional filesystem providers.
+
+ (Sorry Robert for shortening your text that much)
+
+
+ ----
+