On 11/22/05, Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 11/23/05, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 11/22/05, Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there any objection to me changing instance variables from
> "protected"
> > > "private"?
> >

> > +1 unless there are already subclasses that access such variables from
> their
> > superclass ... in which case we should evaluate whether a getter method
> > might be better.  You can always loosen access rights later, but you
> can't
> > put the toothpaste back in the tube.
>
> There are only two where this is the case.DatabaseBasicMessages
> sets/gets the key and values variables inherited from BasicMessage.
> BasicMessage has getters but no setters, but DatabaseBasicMessages
> implements setters. Could either leave it as is, or move the setters
> out of DatabaseBasicMessages and into BasicMessage. For now I'm going
> to leave it as it is, unless someone shouts.

To use Craig's metaphor, this is really another toothpaste in the tube thing
- if we don't create getters / setters now, we won't be able to do that
later if we need to, for example if the variable gets moved to a different
class or the value is derived in some other way.

--
Martin Cooper

The other one is the static "factory" variable in Messages - at the