On 11/23/05, Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 11/22/05, Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I've refreshed the Commons Resources site, sorted most the checkstyle
> > issues
> > and sorted a couple of build issues. AFAIK its pretty much ready for a
> > release. except for a couple of things:
> >
> > 1) Quite a few methods are declaring in the javadoc that they throw
> > RuntimeExceptions, which are coming out on the checkstyle:
> >    http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/resources/checkstyle-report.html
> >
> > My preferenc is to removed these, but I can understand why they were put
> > in.
> > Opinions?
>

> I think the code should say what it means. ;-) Looking at Resources.java,
> the init() and destroy() methods declare that they throw ResourcesException
> (and Javadoc that). All of the other methods do not declare that they throw
> that exception, but the Javadocs say they do. If they really do (or can),
> then they should declare that. If they don't, then we should remove the
> Javadocs.

<snip/>

IMO, the public contract implied by the Resources interface means its
only fitting that all get*() methods in that interface as well as all
interface implementations declare that they throw
ResourcesKeyException. I think that the more generic
ResourcesException was meant to wrap any underlying RuntimeException
(other than MissingResourceException), and I've no preference about
declaring that. Indeed, there is only one place where a
ResourcesException is ever thrown in the (non-test) codebase [1], and
that behavior will need to be consistently applied elsewhere as
appropriate, or the single occurence removed.

As I was looking at ResourcesException, I also find that it
redundantly implements Serializable [2], since all Throwable's are
(expected to be) Serializable anyway.

Unfortunately, given the long weekend, I'm about to step out and I
won't have access to a development machine for almost a week, so sorry
about not being able to immediately help in any of the things I've
pointed out. If these or other things (including item 2 below) need
any attention after I'm back, I'd be happy to join the fun via
proposed Bugzilla patches.

-Rahul

[1]
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/resources/xref/org/apache/commons/resources/impl/ResourceBundleResources.html#342