On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 22:32 +0100, Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> >> There has been no reaction on this vote thread so far.
> >>
> >> Will I have to cancel this release because of lack of interest? :-(
> >>
> > 3 the release has been compiled using 1.4.2: if commons-configuration is
> > supposed to support 1.3 jdks then this could be a problem unless you've
> > taken very careful steps.
> >
> I've seen this too. I checked the build and tests and found te build
> fails with jdk.1.3 as there are references to javax.sql.DataSource and
> so I thought this is a jdk1.4 project.

perhaps it would be possible to satisfy this with an alternate jdbc
dependency?

> Unhappily a wrong decision by me. But this might explain why a jdk1.4
> were used.

i wouldn't be too critical about that decision...

ideally, it would be better to find another way of satisfying that
dependency. if that isn't possible then it's important to ensure that
users are clearly informed about the minimum JDK version. even if there
is a 1.4 library dependency, it's best to use the source switches so
that the rest of the library could be used on 1.3.

- robert