The problem I would see with having this in email, even as a utility, is
that it isn't e-mail specific.

While your use case deals with the file system and (presumably?) a
bean-type substitution (e.g., @@LOGIN@@, user.getLogin()), there is a
broader scope of retrieval of information from other sources (database,
property files, etc). The use cases (and dependencies to match) could
get well out of control for a simple project aimed at making e-mail
easier to use.

Perhaps a utility class for your use case could simply deal with
String's replace/replaceAll?

Brian