On 12/6/05, Stephen Colebourne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I will be giving a 15 minute speech on Commons at Javapolis, I titled it
> 'new and upcoming at commons'
>
> Now there is very little I can really cover in 15 minutes, but does
> anyone have any comments?
<snip/>

Thanks for asking.

> At present my prsentation is all about collections/lang/io (examples of
> using new classes) as that is what I know best, but it hardly seems
> balanced!

<snap/>

Since you're talking about the "new and upcoming at commons", what do
you think about giving a fraction (say 20%) of your time to the
sandbox? That'd surely justify the title ;-)

If you're open to that suggestion and your presentation has slides,
can you publish the template? I'll add a slide or half a slide on
[scxml].

> Any views on whether I should abandon the examples and just focus on
> descriptions? What would you want from a 15 minute talk on commons? What
> do you think our users would want?

<snip/>

As an audience member in a 15 minute talk, I'd want:

 * High level slides, minimal code. For libraries such as [lang],
[collections], even [io] any code in the form of animations that
morphs before (17 tedious lines of code without Commons Foo) into
after (5 elegant lines with Commons Foo).

 * Each item broken into two, identifying _what_ is new and _why_ the
new thing is A Good Thing

 * A URL to go to for examples at the end (on the "thank you" slide),
big font, easy to remember URL

 * Maybe some elaborate code examples in backup slides, if there are
probing questions

Have a nice Javapolis.
-Rahul