I thought he was saying that there were no examples for compress.  Upon
further inspection though (I'm not that familiar with that project), it's
not that there are no examples, but the links to the examples are broken.
I've noticed quite a few broken links on the apache site in the past couple
of days.  For example, the links to download the velocity releases on this
page (http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_velocity.html) are
broken also.

Anyway, if you would still like to see the examples, they're available here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/sandbox/compress/trunk/src/t
est/org/apache/commons/compress/bzip2/example/Bzip2Compress.java

and here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/sandbox/compress/trunk/src/t
est/org/apache/commons/compress/bzip2/example/Bzip2Uncompress.java

I was merely suggesting the more popular ones, since they would most likely
be better documented and there should be many examples readily available.
But, as Rahul said, if "compress" is what you're interested in, by all means
check it out.  Just make sure you check out "proxy" next! ;-)

James