On 12/11/05, robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 13:46 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > One thing I've noticed recently is that I've started losing track of
> > active threads in commons. This is probably dur to the sheer size of
> > commons both in terms of number of components and number of mails.
> >
> > This becomes particularly apparant with votes. I find I easily lose
> > track of what votes are open, in particular what releases need examining.
> >
> > This is probably a cry for a division of commons, and follows on from
> > other recent discussion.
> >
> > However in the short term is there anything we can do? Could we have an
> > area on the wiki where all open release votes have to be recorded? Or is
> > that just another beauracratic step!
>
> we can give it a go without having to insist all votes are recorded:
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/CommonsCommitters/ReleasesInProgress
>
> i've been losing track as well recently so i will have an incentive to
> keep it updated.

Looks good. Should help keep us organized; I'll add it to my list of
things to monitor and if we add it into the release instructions I'm
sure it'll become organic.

> > Basically, my question is what can we do to manage commons better, short
> > of dividing it?

Our basic resource is time. So we can organize our time more
efficiently (ie the various wiki pages that are going up), we can
decrease the effort needed to do tasks (release - automation, develop
- find a way to allow dependencies) and we can increase the amount of
time available (more committers).

Dividing might need to happen someday, I've some thoughts on that that
I'm bouncing off of people at ApacheCon before posting to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I've a mad scheme :)

Hen