On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 10:00 -0500, James Carman wrote:
> For bytecode engineering, are you suggesting that we use something like
> CGLIB at runtime or actually manipulate bytecode at compile time?  I would
> definitely be against introducing CGLIB (or the like) as a runtime
> requirement.  And, I really don't like having to "enhance" classes at
> compile time either.  That's why I prefer Hibernate over JDO.  It's a real
> pain having to add that step into my build process.

i've used JDO for the last couple of years at work which is probably why
i learned to like enhancement ;)

but i suspect that i've failed to explain myself well (no surprise
there, then ;). i think that the future is a minimal specification with
various toolkits and implementations which address various specific
problems.

dynamic manipulation might be solution for some frameworks with custom
classloaders.

enhancement could be used to address hostile classloader environments

static compile-time binding could be used when that's easiest.

JCL works ok in pure servlet environments and dynamic binding has some
advantages in those situations.

- robert