Brett Porter wrote:
First, it seems clear that Maven 2 is a better choice to use than to do
significant work on Maven 1.x. A lot of things have been proposed for a
Maven 1.x plugin for commons that are already possible out of the box in
Maven 2.
Having attended the Maven 2 talk at Javapolis, I started to get the same feeling. Its a risk, but adding M1 plugins now seems a bit too late.

There are some gotchas.
- Some plugins may not be available. At this point, I am not aware of
anywhere that this is the case in Commons, but I will do a check over
this shortly and report back.
One I noted that was missing was clirr. This is an integral part of commons releases, although I don't believe it has ever been part of maven in the past.

Inheritence - I believe the common parent is a good way to go, and Maven
2 facilitates this by allowing it to be in the repository, avoiding a
bizarre checkout structure. This should avoid the need for externals
that has been under discussion.
So long as the resulting zip files can build a site/dist independently of svn, and everything can be versioned properly, a common parent is OK. But is that what you mean?

Distributions - this is customisable by a descriptor in Maven 2, so a
shared commons descriptor might be appropriate here. I actually think
the defaults can work for what commons distributes now. If individual
commons components need to use a different descriptor they can always
override it - no messy hacking on the goals.
I doubt it handles [collections] ;-) We release a testframework jar that is a subset of the src/test classes as well as the main jar. No separate multiproject structure.

Stephen