jerome lacoste wrote:
> [Sorry for the long mail. I hope I was clear enough this time]

Crystal. Just took 4 months to read :)

> Current commons-exec features
>
> It
> - starts commands in the various platforms and SDK. Todays that's the
> launcher package. It's mostly good as is.
> - retrieves os environment, determining on which os we are, etc..
> Today that's the OS class + environment package.
> - builds a process (that's part of Execute)
> - attaches stream and process operations around the execution of a
> Process (still part of Execute).
> - tries to provide good defaults for executing a process (hides
> complexity of the Execute) (What Exec does today).
> - should allow clients to make their own stream operations
> (redirection, visitor-like patterns for consuming information,
> etc...). Today exists but not that reusable.

This should be helpful in sketching some API interfaces.

> Commons-exec becomes a sort of (ProcessBuilder + advanced features) on
> all SDK, all platforms.
>
> Proposed architecture
> - Launchers: exist as today
> - OS functionality
> - ProcessLauncher, (our ProcessBuilder)
> - Execute (or Executor?): Flexible, we use it to tie together the
> various concepts in the execute() call (stream management, process
> management, process building, etc...)
> - Exec (or ??) makes it easy to use Execute/or.

I'm missing the difference between Exec and Executor - but otherwise agree.

> The architecture doesn't need to be very different from what it is today.
> In fact I think it can be achieved by refactoring the current code. I like
> that.

I'd like to have some clean interfaces even if they are similar.

I think we should use interfaces with an implementation so we can later
do what Dion suggested at one point - a "remote exec" implementation.

- Brett