Stephen Colebourne wrote on Monday, January 16, 2006 11:13 PM:

> Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> The release plan is available now:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/id/1.0ReleasePlan
>
>  > "Refactor PrefixXXXGeneratorIdentifier implementations"
> This should be done with great care. id generation is very performance
> and sync sensitive in many systems.

I am sure, Phil will take care of it, if he starts refactoring. But basically
there is not much difference by just decorating an arbitrary
StringIdentifierGenerator and prefixing the resulting id compared to the
current implementations - and the AbstractStringIdentifierGenerator could
implement a protected nextStringBufferIdentifier method. Talking about
transformation is another issue though ...

>  > "Introduce a Wrappable interface for serial generators
> that may wrap"
> Why. What _real_ benefit does it give. This isn't a nice pretty OO
> library - its a basic toolkit.

Basically in an IoC environment an IdentifierGenerator is just configured and
the application has then an easy way to determin by the type of the generator,
if it is wrappable and may request or set the flag. Another issue is, that we
unify the API of the functionality (and have to document it only once). But I
feel not strong about it.

- Jörg