On 1/24/06, Simon Kitching <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 20:42 -0500, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> > On 1/24/06, Jörg Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > which version of Maven and the xdoc-plugin is necessary to build the site
> > > of
> > > a component? Building for commons-id, I just get:
> > >
> > > ====== %< =======
> > > xdoc:jelly-transform:
> > >    [echo]
> > > Generating /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/docs/javadoc.html
> > > from
> > > /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/generated-xdocs/javadoc.xml
> > > Could not find the class: org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
> > > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > > org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
> > > ====== %< =======
> > >
> > > Maven is 1.0.2
> > <snip/>
> >
> > Thats good.
> >

> > > xdoc-plugin is 1.8
> > <snap/>
> >
> > Try 1.9.2. Some folks have begun adding a specific version dependency
> > to the POM (marked "site" only).
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/pluginUpdate.txt
> >
> > This has become a popular question, need to put it on the wiki as
> > well. Maybe after dinner ...
>
> The current setup really sucks in my opinion.
>
> Is it the commons-build stuff that requires this plugin version? If so,
> why isn't the pom for commons-build declaring a reference on it? It's
> ridiculous for each project to have to do so.

Unfortunately, the maven 1.x plugin dependencies do not work like that
- unless commons-build were to build all of the sites, which would be
a mess.  See archives that Rahul references for details.

> The link to the "pluginUpdate" stuff is not good also. The point of
> these build tools is that they download the bits they need
> automatically; having to explicitly install a bunch of plugins (of
> versions that are undocumented in the thing being built) is like a leap
> back into the last century.

Agreed. Help on the maven 2 migration that Brett / Dennis have started
would I am sure be appreciated.

The root cause of the xdoc issue is the custom commons-site.jsl that
gives the customized l & f for the commons site.  It was not possible
(at least I could not figure out how to do it) to modify it to work
with both the 1.9+ xdoc plugin and the <=1.8 version.  If you can find
a way to modify this to work with both versions, that would also be a
help.

Phil