Hi Steve,

> What I think you're missing is that if you put jsse.jar on your
> classpath, you can use javax.net.ssl with java 1.3.

maybe i don't explain well, sorry.

The three classes of com.sun.net.ssl that are used for implement FTPS
(in the way that Paul did and I modified, maybe there is another...)
are...

com.sun.net.ssl.KeyManagerFactory
(http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/doc/apidoc/com/sun/net/ssl/KeyManagerFactory.html)

com.sun.net.ssl.SSLContext
(http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/doc/apidoc/com/sun/net/ssl/SSLContext.html)

com.sun.net.ssl.TrustManager
(http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/doc/apidoc/com/sun/net/ssl/TrustManager.html)

This classes in JSSE are only in the package com.sun.net.ssl, and
although in JSSE 1.0.3 there are a packege javax.net.ssl, it doesn't
contain this classes, it contains javax.net.ssl.SSLSocket, a classes
soon used, to implement FTPS.

> And the commons-net team would prefer to go that way because Sun says that
> com.sun.net may go away with some future release, but not javax.net.  Yes,
> this
> would be a small inconvenience for java 1.3 users, but the stability is worth
> it.

This three classes in JDK 1.4.2, were move to

javax.net.ssl.KeyManagerFactory
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/net/ssl/KeyManagerFactory.html)

javax.net.ssl.SSLContext
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/net/ssl/SSLContext.html)

javax.net.ssl.TrustManager
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/net/ssl/TrustManager.html)

But if you download for example JDK 1.4.2 and look inside of (jre/lib)
you'll find jsse.jar, the jar where still are com.sun.net.ssl. Sun,
still mantain compatiblity with JDK 1.3.

And still in JDK 1.5, you'll find jre/lib/jsse.jar.

But when jsse.jar desapear, i offer to modified code...

In other way if use javax.net.ssl.KeyManagerFactory ,
javax.net.ssl.SSLContext, javax.net.ssl.TrustManager, ftps don't work
under JDK 1.3.

I hope explain better, this time.

Then, make that you consider appropiate...

Thanks all, for your time.

--
The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is
for people with no decision-making ability