Sorry for the late response.  I have had connectivity problems this week.

My one comment is that most of the content described below belongs on
the main commons web pages.  Could be I am odd man out, in which case
I will shut up and accept the chaos, but I don't think we should be
using the Wiki for developer documentation, at least not as a
permanent home for it.

Phil