On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 22:48 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 18:32 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 21:46 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > > I've cut a branch for any ongoing work needed for JCl1:
> > > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/logging/branches/JCL1/
> > >
> > > future release candidates will be cut from this branch.
> >
> > I think that a JCL 2.x series would best be served by starting with a
> > completely fresh directory anyway; the code will be quite different.
>
> a separate top level directory or another branch?

With SVN, there's no difference :-)

I plan to initially create a directory under logging/contrib/simon to
hold code I create for community evaluation. If people like it then it
could be renamed to logging/JCL2 for further work, and eventually
renamed to logging/trunk. Or maybe we could instead rename trunk to
JCL1/trunk so we have
  logging/JCL1
    /trunk
    /branches
    /tags
  logging/JCL2
    /trunk
    /branches
    /tags

That's not a discussion we need to have just now though...

> > So perhaps we could instead remove the JCL1 branch, and run JCL1.x from
> > trunk for the moment while JCL2.x is a separate dir? Later we could
> > rename trunk to JCL1 while JCL2 is renamed to "trunk"...
>
> i think i'm happier using a branch for the release: less risk that way
> but feel free to start JCL2 off on a branch.
>
> > Please let me know as I have currently committed the AvalonLogger change
> > (intended for the 1.x series) to trunk only..
>
> yep (noticed the commit)
>
> not a problem (or at least, an easy problem to sort out). i'll patch the
> release branch.

It still feels a bit weird to me to have a 1.1 release branch. What
could possibly be committed to trunk that would not be wanted in the 1.1
branch? What could possibly be committed to the 1.1 branch that would
not be wanted in trunk?

And if (as I believe) the answer to the above is "nothing", then why
have a branch? Either everything gets committed twice or trunk will get
out-of-date which will just confuse everybody.

I guess the only bits might be the kind of "global maven cleanups" that
occasionally occur.

Cheers,

Simon