On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 13:31 +0100, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On 2/20/06, Simon Kitching <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> > > - Please continue providing support for using the TCCL (as the TCCL -
> > > or similar - is used in most JNDI impls, doing otherwise is a bit
> > > redudant as far as I am concerned, and JNDI access is most likely
> > > slower).
> >
> > I'd be very interested in your opinion about the safety/stability of
> > TCCL-based solutions. I was looking at Sun's java bugtracker recently
> > and found an issue raised by JBoss stating that they wanted some
> > classloader synchronisation code changed as Marc Fleury has been
> > experimenting with "dependency-based classloaders that aren't tree
> > structured". From the comments it seems like a few other people are
> > experimenting with similar approaches. So is it still going to be safe
> > in the long run to assume every webapp has a distinct TCCL, and that it
> > is possible to walk up the classloader ancestry links to find all
> > possible implementations of a particular class?
>
> I was pointing out that TCCL was being used to track the logging
> environment. For classloading itself, it's up to you to figure it out
> :)

+1

it should be much more reliable to allow per TCCL configuration whilst
too much use of automagic configuration. suggesting that users use
various arrangements of jars to achieve configurations has proved a poor
plan. limited automagic configuration to just the class classloader
would be a major simplification.

i've also been toying with the idea of a Log implementation that
discovers which implementation to use based on the calling TCCL. when
debug is called, the Log implementation would be looked up. this would
allow a library to share a static implementation. of course the
configuration for each TCCL would have to be stored centrally.

- robert