Hi!

> I have done something and uploaded a draft:
> http://grobmeier.de/commons-compress-draft.zip
I've looked at it a little bit.

1) Please take care to always close your input/output streams. ie. do
this in a finally() block so that in any case (excpetion) the streams
were closed
2) you cant handle directories now, maybe something you have on your
todo list?
2) The archiver uses java.io.File in its public interface.
PLEASE provide Streams too. Internally you can create temp-files or
whatever you would like to.
So you might have something like

OutputStream os = Archiver.createEntry(String pathname);

Why?
>From the view of VFS its simply easier to handle ;-) It would be great
if you could handle this in your abstract archiver.

Ciao,
Mario